Having a concussion has given me a lot of time to think, though I have been told I should limit my thinking to allow my brain to heal. And I just found out last night I have even more time to think because I failed my recheck. So what exactly have I learned? Well her we go:
- I have amazing family and friends! I already knew this but it was confirmed over and over again with all of the calls, texts, and gifts I received.
- My brother has the ability to always make me smile. After finding out about my accident, I received a text letting me know he will start shopping for a helmet for me to wear…
- I am extremely strong willed. Stubborn is probably a better word but I like strong willed (thank you Lara of Uptite Mamas for mentioning it). When my accident happened, I didn’t was to inconvenience anyone so I went to the hospital on my own. I did have a wonderful couple on deck if I needed help but again I didn’t want them to go out in a snow storm. Yes, I probably should had help but it all worked out!
- Avoiding screens is extremely hard. I shouldn’t be writing this post right now since it is on a computer screen but I am going crazy doing nothing but listening to podcasts and audio books.
- I could do without television. I love myself some Real Housewives but I could live without them. I have not watch TV in over a week and I have not missed it a bit. Well maybe I might have to still watch Girlfriends Guide to Divorce…
- Driving is so much harder than I remember. I took for granted driving. I had no idea how hard it was to do. Before I used to listen to the radio, maybe talk on the phone (I used Bluetooth), look at the sites, and God knows what else. Now, I drive with both hands on the wheel with no radio or phone. In fact, I have decided not to drive until I am cleared for activity (running, boxing, swimming, etc.)
- I don’t do well doing nothing. Again, I knew this before but it has been confirmed and reconfirmed. I have to be busy and very busy. I enjoy working, blogging, training, being a fiance and dog mom, and all the other things I do.
- I need to make time for more down time. As much as I like being very busy, I realize that it is good for me to have a break here and there. I don’t want as much down time as I have recently but a little down time would be good.
- I had no idea how much my brain does. Let’s me be honest, I knew my brain was an important organ I just didn’t know how much I used it. It is really scary how much a bump on the head can impact your thought process, your ability to communicate, and just concentrate. I am sure it will all come back, it will just take some time.
- Even with all the setbacks, I will reach my goals. There have been setbacks but I know that I will achieve the goals. I may have to adjust them but I will get there!
Having a concussion is not fun but I have learned a lot. Now it is time to follow the doctors orders and rest my brain.
While I am resting my brain I need some new podcasts or audio books. Do you have any podcasts you love? How about good audio books?