Wednesday morning I was saw a pop up on my phone for Instagram stating I had been mentioned in a comment. I quickly looked at it and saw that Rachel from My Urban Over had nominated me for the Liebster Award. After reading the post I instantly felt gratitude and elation then there was a moment of panic. What was the award, what did I do to get it, what would I have to do because of it. Then I took a step back and went back to feeling gratitude and elation.
Of course being a Business Analyst the next thing I did was research this award. Chances are you may have not heard about it, so here is a little more info. Rachel said it best so I am going to quote her: “The Liebster Award is a blogger to fellow blogger award, in hopes to spreading the word about up and coming blogs. Blogs that have a small following but are offering great content.”
Rachel did a really nice job of explaining what the intent of the award is also, so I am going quote her again! “This Award is meant to help bloggers interact with new followers, as well as share more about themselves in hopes to create a better connection with their readers. And of course that is what this whole blog thing is about, right?!”
She is 100% right! I love that the Liebster Award allows me to interact with new followers as well as honor other amazing bloggers. With that said, keep reading because I have the honor of nominating other awesome bloggers for the award. But before I get to that I have to answer the 10 questions Rachel has sent me.
1. How did you decide on the title of your blog and what’s it about?
I had toyed with blogging but was always scared to commit and put myself out there. As I was running one day, lost in my thoughts, it occurred to me that over my weight loss/fitness journey I had discovered so much about myself. I discovered a love of running, strength training, and general fitness. Not only that, I found that I was so much stronger (emotionally and physically) and I ever thought I could be. I loved things I used to hate and was willing to try new activities that I wouldn’t have even considered doing before the journey. It was the first time I cried on a run and vowed that minute that I needed to document my process. The rest of the run I spent contemplating what I would name my blog. It didn’t come to me on the run but it did in the middle of the night that night. I shot out of bed at 2am with “Getting Fit to Find Myself” continually running through my mind. And that was it! In my mind it was the prefect name for my process, I still feel that way. I love the name of my blog!
2. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
You know, I really don’t know what I thought I would do as a kid but I do know what my plan was when I graduated high school. I was going to be a dental hygienist and I was so excited about it. I got to college and soon found out that was not the path for me (there were a lot of reasons) and had to quickly find a new path. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up! I love being a business analyst but that doesn’t mean I will be doing it forever.
3. What was your favorite Christmas present this year?
This is a tricky one! I got quite a few gift cards for Christmas this year and I used them to purchase my new road bike! So I am going to say my road bike if my favorite Christmas present because if it wasn’t for the gift cards I wouldn’t have spent the money on it.
4. If you could give advice to a new blogger, what would you tell them?
Start out on WordPress self-hosted!!!! I am in the middle of a migration and it is a headache. I was so scared of WordPress but there was nothing to be scared of, in fact it is so much more awesome! But a close second is to have a good why! You have the ability to reach so many people, know your why and write about it each day!
5. Tell me 8 random facts about yourself?
- When I was 7 or 8 years old I had Lingual Frenectomy to correct my Ankyloglossia. I had what for what, you ask. You know that band of tissue that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth, yes that. I had to have part of that removed. Interesting fact is that it is a common condition but rarely needs medical treatment.
- I have three college degrees. I have an Associates of Applied Science Pharmacy Technician degree, a Bachelor of University of Studies with a focus in Business and Women’s Studies, and a Masters of Business Administration with a focus in Management. I would love to get my Ph.D. in Women’s Studies (Feminist Studies/Gender Studies/etc.).
- I have an English Mastiff named Baylee who is the love of my life! Yes, I love my fiancé but if I had to pick I would pick her every time! ;o)
- I am the shortest member of my family but a lot, like by about a foot. They are all round six feet tall and I am 5’1”.
- Prior to meeting my fiancé, Justin, I had seen only a few hockey games. Now, I love the game and can talk hockey with the best of them. In fact, in a conversation with two Pittsburg Penguins scouts they told Justin that I really know my hockey!
- I name my vehicles and my current vehicle is named Ellie the Equinox.
- I am going to run a race in every state. I have run in Minnesota, North Dakota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Washington, and Florida. I was supposed to run in Massachusetts in April but due to all the snow the race was postponed. I hope to get South Dakota, Iowa, Nevada, and possibly Hawaii yet this year.
- I have five tattoos. I already have plans for at least three more. I will be getting Baylee’s paw print, something to capture the Glass Slipper Challenge I did in February, and something to represent triathlons.
6. What inspired you to start a blog?
I was inspired by another blogger. Her blog was such an inspiration to me! She helped me to realize I could do anything I put my mind to. It is my hope that I can do the same thing for someone else! Read number eight to find out who it is…
7. If you were to be invited to lunch with your favorite celebrity, who would it be? And what would you ask them?
I would have lunch with Josh Duhamel! I would love know how it was to grow up in Minot, ND and now live the Hollywood lifestyle.
8. Who are your top 2 favorite bloggers?
The first is Dani from Weight off My Shoulders. Dani is a true inspiration! She is open and honest, she makes you feel like you are part of her world. I was listening to a podcast where she was being interview, after listening to that I immediately found her blog and subscribed to have her posts emailed to me. I look forward to that email every day!
The second is Brandi from Mama Laughlin. Brandi is awesome! She says it like she sees it and I love it! I love watching and reading about her journey through weight loss and fitness. Her goals have changed over time and for me that really hits home.
Both bloggers are amazingly strong women who I really look up to!
9. What is your favorite Social Media outlet?
It is a tie between Instagram and BurnThis. BurnThis is a lot like Instagram except that it is all about fitness and wellness motivation. I love seeing others pictures, it probably why they are my two favorites!
10. Describe yourself in one sentence.
Strong, confident women who challenges herself on a daily basis.
Now it’s my turn to nominate some amazing bloggers. I am going to take a little bit different spin on these nominations. I am nominating some strong and inspiring women who I am happy to call my Esprit de She sisters (fellow ambassadors). They inspire me on a daily basis!
The NOMINEES ARE (and in no particular order)…
- Deena from Propellergirl
- Olivia from Balancing Mommy
- Amanda from Just a Mom Who Tri’s
- Melanie from See Mommy Race
- Karin from Just Up the Way
My Questions for the Nominees are:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- How did you decide on the title of your blog and what is it about?
- What is your favorite social media outlet?
- Tell me 8 random facts about yourself?
- What surprised you most about blogging?
- If you think back to a younger you, did you see yourself where you are today?
- What is your favorite fitness activity (running, swimming, strength training, etc.) and why?
- If you could give advice to a new blogger, what would you tell them?
- Who are your top 2 favorite bloggers?
- Describe yourself in one sentence.
Okay nominees the rules are as follows:
- Acknowledge the blog who nominated you
- Answers the questions I’ve asked of you
- Nominate [and inform them] 5-11 other bloggers with typically less than 200 followers on any social media outlet. (I didn’t follow this exactly since I took a different spin on my nominees.)
- Ask them your questions
- Share the LOVE!
I have to say a big thanks to Rachel again! For me, as a blogger it is an awesome feeling to have other bloggers acknowledge what I am doing on my blog, social media, and in the public!